Sapphire Tubes, Rods, Spheres & Special Shapes
Unusual synthetic sapphire shapes are one of PST's areas of expertise. PST grows synthetic sapphire into a variety of shapes such as: domes, tubes, ribbons and shells. The Stepanov synthetic sapphire near net growth method allows shapes to be formed with minimal or no grinding; a cost and time saving benefit.
PST has the flexibility to grow synthetic sapphire to near net shapes. Shapes can be grown to specific orientations or random orientations (lower cost). Typically sapphire tubes and rods are grown with the C-axis parallel to the part axis. Whereas sheet and ribbon are usually grown in the A-plane orientation or R-plane for semiconductor applications. The surface finish for “as-grown” parts varies from clear to a translucent look, depending on the shape and size of the part being grown.
Synthetic sapphire is a superior material for many applications because it is one of the hardest, most wear-resistant, chemical resistant and thermally stable materials available.
Applications of Synthetic Sapphire Tubes, Rods, Spheres & Special Shapes
Sapphire custom profiles tubes,
custom sapphire rods with holes
Some of PST's Synthetic Sapphire Tubes, Rods, Spheres & Special Shapes:
- Sapphire tubes — for plasma, high-pressure, high-purity & semiconductor applications
- Sapphire micro tubes — for medical & fiber optic applications
- Sapphire domes — for high-pressure systems & missile nose domes
- Sapphire rods & pins — for fiber optics, bio-engineering, dental & medical bone implants
- Sapphire crucibles — for thermal analysis, foundry & casting
- Sapphire insulators — for high power RF & microwave applications
- Sapphire wear parts — for rods, bearings, blocks & friction plates in dynamic systems where physical & positional integrity must be maintained over time
with surfaces “as grown”:
traditional growing (left)
and innovative growing method (right)
50mm wide, up to 900 mm long
with surfaces “as grown”
Sapphire tubes with thick walls
for high pressure applications,
OD and ID are polished